Call for Participation
2017 NTOU Marine Affairs Summer Seminar
NTOU Marine Affairs International Seminar will host along the Pacific Coast of northern Taiwan in August as described below. We would like to invite seven graduate students (Masters and PhD) of NTOU to participate in the seminar.
1. Outline of the International Summer Seminar
(1) Dates: Thursday, 3 August – Friday, 11 August 2017
(2) Venue: Communities along the Pacific Coast of northern Taiwan
(3) Language: English
(4) Theme: Sustainable Seafood and Marine Spatial Planning
(5) Participating universities: the University of Tokyo; University of Rhode Island (USA); National Taiwan Ocean University (Taiwan)
(6) Scheduled activities:
The theme of 2017 NTOU Marine Affairs Summer Seminar will focus on the balance between marine related industries and environment, which include sustainable seafood, the development and management of fishery industry. The activities include,
- A series of discussions and presentations on given topics as well as group work among students from various academic backgrounds from different universities
- Lectures by professors and experts from the participating universities and stakeholders from site
- Field trip (including interviews with local people)
Participating students are expected to start communicating with each other through email to prepare prior to the seminar.
We are in the process of finalizing our programs. The tentative agendas includes,
-Review the sustainable seafood development issues in Taiwan
-Taiwan offshore and costal fishery management
- Kan-Zi-Ding fish market
- National Museum of Marine Science & Technology
- Chao-Jing Bay Resource Conservation Area
- Wind farm sites visit (Swancor)
More details will be updated in late June.
2. How to Apply
(1) Requirements for Participation
・Students of Masters or PhD program in NTOU, or Senior colleagues students with graduate ability could be considered.
・Those who can participate in the entire schedule from 3-12 August 2017.
(2) Selection Process
Please fill out an application form, and submit it to Professor Huang, Institute of Marine Affairs and Resources Management by email (Julia@ntou.edu.tw) by 21:00 on Friday, June 9 2017.
Interviews will be conducted at 12:10 June 16 if there are too many applicants. Please note that balance in terms of research fields, and gender will be considered when selecting participants.
Expenses for local transportation, accommodation and meals of the summer seminar will be provided by the NTOU. Other personal expenses shall be borne by each participant.
4. Other related information
Previous activities of 2014 Summer Seminar report is posted in http://imarm-ntou.blogspot.tw/2014/09/2014.html
2015 Summer Seminar report: http://imarm-ntou.blogspot.tw/2015/08/2015-university-of-rhode-island-summer.html
Director Hsiang-Wen Huang (Institute of Marine Affairs and Resource Management). Email: Julia@ntou.edu.tw
Chun-Pei LIAO (Sophia), Ph.D. Student, Department of Environmental Biology and Fishery Science. E-mail:email@example.com