Marine economics & leisure industry, marine sociology and community development, island sustainability & marine ecological conservation, and marine environmental policy
- Ph.D. in Economics (1992), North Carolina State University
- M.S. in Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (1988)
- Served as the Director of Institute of Fisheries Economics (now Institute of Applied Economics) and Institute of Marine Resource Management (now Institute of Marine Affairs and Resource Management) in 2000-2003 and 2005-2006, respectively.
- Served as Director of Division of Academic Exchange & Cooperation, Director of Center of Innovation & Incubator, Dean of Student Affairs office, Extension Professor and School’s Guidance Counselor at the NTOU.
- 1997-1998, he was honored as a Fulbright scholar visiting at the University of Delaware and University of Rhode Island, and a Yoneyama scholar visiting at the Kagoshima University, Japan in years 2004-2005.
- 2001 and 2007, honored as the “The Outstanding Teacher of the Year” and “The Outstanding Industrial Researcher of the Year” by the NTOU respectively, “The Outstanding Agriculturist of the Year” by Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan, Taiwan in 2004, and “The Outstanding Extension Professor” by Taiwan Agricultural Extension Association in 2006.